Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
The Department of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics was established in 2001 and deals with facial skeletal and dental deformities. It offers undergraduate as well as postgraduate courses. The teaching program trains undergraduates in orthodontic diagnosis, case selection, removable appliance fabrication, and management of simple dental malocclusion with removable appliances. The first batch of Post-graduation (M.D.S) was started in the year 2007. To date, 10 batches comprising 54 post-graduate students have successfully completed their Master’s from this department. The department is spacious enough to have a separate UG and PG section along with faculty rooms and seminar rooms. Regular CDEs, webinars, and workshops are conducted in the department to keep all students updated with the latest research and innovations.
HOD: Dr. Ajit Kalia
Vision of the Department:-
- To comprehensively prepare competent individuals to initially practice orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics.
- To teach residents sound methodological principles in research and scholarly endeavor and to instill the necessity of implementing evidence-based decision-making into their professional careers.
- To provide a program that encourages the orthodontic resident to participate in and develop a value for multidisciplinary orthodontic care.
- To encourage residents to serve diverse populations of patients, their communities, and the profession, and to advance the specialty of orthodontics by participating in teaching activities throughout their careers.
- To produce alumni who will play a leadership role in specialty governance, education, and research.
- To improve oral health by preserving and enhancing the oral functions, appearance, self-esteem, and overall health of the patient community.
- Our motto is “Excellence in Orthodontics”
- We starve to achieve these goals through contributions and advancements in education, service, and research related to the field of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
Publications by the department:- 180.
Special achievements of the department:-
- Fellowship of Indian board of orthodontics – Dr. Ajit Kalia, Dr. Salil Nene, Dr. Awshwith Hegde.
- Best paper presentation at various national and international conferences -Dr. Ajit Kalia, Dr. Salil Nene.
- Best table clinic presentation at a national conference – Dr. Wasu Patil.
- Patent Approved-Dr Ajit Kalia.
Services provided by the department:-
Comprehensive orthodontic treatment including
- Growth modulation- My functional and orthopedic appliances
- Fixed appliance treatment- Metal, ceramic, and self-ligating braces
- Surgical Orthodontics
- Orthodontic management of Cleft lip and palate,
- Invisible braces -Lingual orthodontics, Aligners
- Management of TMJ disorders.
Any other courses provided by the department:- Orthopedia.